Thursday, February 19, 2009

Words of Wisdom

I actually have no great words of wisdom today (but how would I get you to keep reading without a pithy title?). I have actually struggled with what to write today. In a way I think that is a blessing. That means I have not had to fall at the face of my "Daddy God" because of my internal pain! On the other hand, I do not want to become complacent in who I am in Christ, in the change He has made, and is making in me. I decided one of the best ways to keep Jesus at the forefront in my mind is to remind myself...and you...of what a big God we serve.

Rewind to January. Towards the beginning of January Dan told me he was going to be taking a vacation before a surgery he had scheduled. He had set the trip for January 16th-19th. He would not tell me where he was going and I found out it would be Ohio. We were separated but I was truly terrified about what this trip meant. I really felt like I was to have people pray 'round the clock for Dan while he was gone. I never did tell anyone how to pray or what to pray for. They may have known the situation, but I did not tell them, "pray for restoration" or "pray for his heart," I just had to trust that the Spirit would lead. When Dan filed for divorce many people asked if they should still pray during their prayer slot. I would be lying if I told you that I never faltered on my decision, but, by the grace of God, I was able to say, "Yes. Please pray for Dan anyway. It may be too late for us, but one day God will get a hold of Dan."

God had taught me to trust Him in a very real way in the last month, but NEVER did I expect the call I got early in the morning on January 17, 2009. Dan and I were talking via text messaging, but not about anything very deep; just keeping it light. Then he called. He simply said, "Heather, can I come home?" I hesitated. I had dreamed about this, but it was just so shocking. I vaguely remember asking him what he meant (it was just too good to be true). Dear ones, prayer works. I believe that with ALL my heart. If any of you know Daniel, you know that he is stubborn. He does not make decisions lightly, and he does not change his mind easily. God was working on his heart. In fact about a week and a half before this night I was sound asleep when God woke me up. (If you don't believe that God speaks, you will just have to chalk it up as my craziness...but God speaks to me...He will speak to you too, if you listen carefully. It may not be audible but he speaks in the flowers, the wind, the sunset.) God said, "Heather, even now I am working on his heart." I fell immediately back to sleep and didn't remember until morning. Understand this, at the time, Dan was living in the basement, I was living upstairs and we did not see each other much at all. However, I could see the way Daniel looked at me with such disdain, and if I did not believe that I have a big God, I would have laughed at the fact that He was working on Dan. But God. God was working on his heart. God was using the prayers of His people too. Please don't stop praying for us. We do have a big God. A big God who is mighty to save and who is not finished with us yet (Praise God)!

Philippians 4:6 says, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God."

Our God is still in the business of miracles. Don't be anxious, be thankful. Don't let worry consume you, bring it to the Creator of the universe. He loves to bestow gifts on His children (I am preaching to the choir)!!


Diane--I would love to call you but I am out of cell phone minutes. Your brother and his wife have really been on my heart today. I have been praying. God is STILL in the business of miracles.

Prayer Warriors--Please join me in praying for Diane's brother David and his wife, Jacelyn (I know I just killed the spelling. Sorry. It is pronounces Jossilyn). They are waiting to adopt their child/children from Kazakhstan and things get much more complicated for them as March approaches. They have been waiting for their referral for a long time. Please pray for them and that the doors will be opened for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment