Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Danny

Let me tell you about Dan. The Dan I fell in love with 12 years ago. He was amazing. He made me feel like I was the most important person in the world. It didn't matter where we went, I was a queen. When we first got married we used to have nights when we would just "slum it." We would go to thrift stores and out to eat at The Hamburger Stand. The point of the night was to find interesting things (which we never bought) and have fun just being together despite the fact that we were spending almost nothing. Even on those nights, even while eating a decrepid burger at a lousy hamburger joint, I was royalty. Have you ever been treated like that? I have.

I never did understand how he could have so much power over me. I guess it's because he was always so blatantly honest, almost rude, to most of the world, but I was spared the sarcasm. I was his queen...and I liked it. No, I LOVED it!

I met Dan online. In a chatroom on AOL called, "Romance: Friends First." He had a girlfriend (he says he went in the wrong room). Although Dan and I never had a relationship before he broke up with his girlfriend, I loved him. He was such a great listener, a loyal friend, and showed up online to talk to me so much that I knew he must care for me.

I know the Dan I fell in love with is still there. Sometimes I get glimpses of it, even now. Sometimes he knows just what to say when I need to hear it most. However, I have learned that the only way to only truly be treated and respected as royalty, is to see myself as the daughter of the King. You see, Dan is only human. He is not perfect. He can't make me feel like I am the most important person in the world, it's not his job. Only when I am safe in the arms of my "daddy God" and know who I am in Him, can I truly become royalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment